Sunday, July 10, 2005

Simple things
I saw an aged neighbour of mine, pedalling his new bicycle under my block yesterday. He looked so happy, so contented, I just had to say Hi to him when he passed by me.

“Hello Uncle! Nice bike you have there. Is it new?”

“Nola. Its my son’s bike. He didn’t want to play with it anymore. I got nothing to do, so I paint it new and see...it looks really nice right?”

Oh the bicycle was an old BMX type bicyle. I think it was just strange to see a man his age (he’s about 60) looking so happy riding a bicyle. It was nice to see old people who behave like kids when they reach a certain age.

My late grandfather was like that. He was so cheery. He had a smile for every visitor. He gave every grandchild a nickname. So when I came to visit and said Hi to him in his room, he would just drop whatever he’s doing, squints his eyes and always greets me in his sing-song voice, “Normarooh! Oh Normarooh! Is that you Normarooh?”

I just finished a book by Roald Dahl, titled Danny The Champion Of The World. Its about a relationship of a kid and his Dad. It’s really a nice read. And at the end of the book, Mr Dahl advised parents not to be stodgy to their kids. Take it easy. Laugh more. Be like one. And think like one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home